15 Easy Ways to Cut out Hundreds of Calories a Day
I have lost 6lbs in a week! How awesome is that? I know that the first few lbs are water weight, but as my kids belts assistant tells me, “Don’t belittle your progress! 6lbs is still 6lbs regardless of where it came from!” She’s right… I know it, why is it so hard to be proud of an accomplishment? Instead of saying “I only lost 6lbs and most of that had to be water”, why can’t we train ourselves to think differently and say “I lost 6lbs! Isn’t that great!” I digress…
I have always struggled with my weight, I’ve been up, been down, been in the middle and now working on down again. I want to get it under control before it becomes a health risk. So, on my health and weight loss journey, I have pick up tips here and there that I thought I would share with you. These are so easy, but the calories really add up! There are 3,500 calories in a pound, so if you can cut 500 calories a day, that’s a loss of 1lb a week!
15 Easy Ways to Cut Hundreds of Calories a Day
(Adapted from Spark People’s 50 Easy Ways to Cut Calories)
- Substitute 3 oz. of turkey sausage for a serving of pork sausage. Save 120 calories!
- Top your whole grain bagel with 1.5 oz of fat-free cream cheese in lieu of regular. Save 108 calories!
- Prepare your coffee with 4 oz. of fat-free half and half instead of regular half and half. Save 88 calories!
- Eat a medium orange instead of drinking 12 oz. of fresh orange juice. Save 106 calories!
- Spread your whole grain waffles with 2 tablespoons of maple syrup instead of 1 tablespoon of margarine or butter. Save 110 calories!
- Order a skinless chicken breast instead of chicken with skin. Save 102 calories!
- Choose a slice of thin crust pizza over thick crust pizza. Save 106 calories!
- Add vegetable toppings to your pizza order and say no to pepperoni. Save 100 calories!
- Forget broccoli cheddar soup. A 7-oz portion of vegetable soup is better. Save 119 calories!
- Skip the 5 oz. of Alfredo sauce and eat a whopping 7 oz. of marinara sauce. Save 129 calories!
- Try either cheese or croutons on your salad—not both Save 72-116 calories!
- Enjoy 5 oz. of chocolate milk instead of 5 oz. of a chocolate milkshake Save 110 calories!
- Split a 20 oz. bottle of regular soda with a friend. Save 120 calories!
- Drink 1 cup of diet soda instead of 1 cup of regular soda. Save 97 calories!
- Swap a 12-oz. glass of whole milk for skim milk. Save 96 calories!