Chicken Broccoli Braid
So, the last few recipes I have posted have been on the healthier side. This one? Not so much… but it is delicious non the less. I suppose you could make it a little healthier by using reduced fat crescent rolls, light mayo and reduced fat cheese, but isn’t a little fat fun sometimes? There are times when I just want to eat and not think about the calories I am consuming. This is a good recipe for that, because it’s oh so tasty!
This recipe does take a little time, so it’s one I tend to do on the weekend, when I haven’t been at the kids belts shop all day.
It’s actually a great recipe to bring for a potluck because it looks super impressive when finished and then you don’t eat as much because you are sharing with everyone else…
Chicken Broccoli Braid
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- ½ cup green bell pepper chopped
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 carrot, shredded
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup mayonaise
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 (8 ounce) packages refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
Prep Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 45 mins
1. 1 Directions:
2. 2 Preheat oven to 375°F Chop chicken and broccoli using; place in 2 quart mixing bowl, add bell pepper, onion, carrot and garlic. Add shredded cheese and mix gently. Add mayonnaise and salt; mix well. Unroll 1 package of crescent dough; do not separate. Arrange longest sides of dough across width of 12″ x 15″ rectangle baking stone. Repeat with remaining package of dough. Using roller, roll dough to seal perforations. On longest sides of baking stone, cut dough into strips 1 1/2 inches apart, 3 inches deep using a pizza cutter (there will be 6 inches in the center for the filling). Spread filling evenly over middle of dough. To braid, lift strips of dough across mixture to meet in center, twisting each strip on turn. Continue alternating strips to form a braid. Tuck ends under to seal at end of braid. Brush egg white over dough using pastry brush. Sprinkle with a little extra grated cheese.. Bake 25-28 minutes or until deep golden brown.
Lip smacking good food… I hope you enjoy, I’m thinking I might just make this tonight. It’s also a good way to get the kids to eat some veggies since the broccoli and onions are hidden inside!