Pizza Pasta Salad
It’s summer and with summer comes lots of picnics, BBQ’s and cook outs. I don’t know about you, but I always struggle with what to bring. Chips and dip is a staple, but everyone brings that an lets face it, unless you are making the dip yourself, it’s not that memorable. And me? Well, I need to be memorable, of course! Why do you think I invented Dapper Snappers kids belts? To be memorable, well that, and to keep Super Dude from mooning everyone.
I was looking though an issue of All You Magazine (they have great coupons, recipes and money saving tips) and I thought this recipe would be a great one to make for a cook out. There’s no mayonnaise to worry about and it’s super simple to put together. Plus it’s pasta that tastes like Pizza, how can you go wrong? So here it is, Pizza Pasta Salad courtesy of All You Magazine!
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound short pasta such as bow ties, shells or penne
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 3/4 cup sliced marinated artichoke hearts
- 8 ounces bocconcini (small fresh mozzarella nuggets), halved (about 18 pieces)
- 4 ounces pepperoni or salami, diced
- 1/2 cup shredded fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain well and spread on an oiled baking sheet to cool. (Don’t worry if pasta sticks together. It will come apart when mixed with oil.)
2. Transfer cooled pasta to a large bowl and stir in oil. Add vinegar, sun-dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, bocconcini, pepperoni, basil and oregano. Toss well and season with salt and pepper.
I hope you enjoy this at all of your summer functions, especially at all of those 4th of July celebrations!