Today, I thought I would change up my recipes a bit. I have been giving a lot of seasonal recipes lately and you may be thinking… “We are about to be overwhelmed with seasonal foods, don’t you have anything else for us?”
Well, of course I do! This one comes courtesy of one of my favorite websites, Weelicious. If you haven’t checked it out before, it really is a cool place. They focus on educating kids and involving them in the cooking process. They encourage parents to be honest – no sneaking veggies! Also, their recipes are quick, easy and nutritious and are made using fresh ingredients. The recipes appeal to a range of ages – from infants starting on solid foods to school-age kids and even adults – and are meant for parents to use as an inspirational feeding guide for their own families.
I really like that, good healthful foods that my kids will love and can even help prepare,which is great because the less I have to do, the better! I mean, I do spend the day slaving away making kids belts.
Spaghetti Pie (Serves 6)
8 oz Spaghetti, cooked (about 1/2 a package)
2 Large Eggs, whisked
1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese, divided
1 Lb Ground Turkey (you could also use ground beef or chicken)
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 Tsp Salt
1/2 Tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 Tsp Onion Powder
2 Cups Weelicious Tomato Sauce or 1 16 Oz Jar Marinara Sauce
1 Cup Ricotta Cheese
1/2 Tsp Italian Herbs
1 Cup Mozzarella Cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place the cooked spaghetti in a bowl and coat with 1 tbsp of olive oil.
3. Combine the eggs and 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese in a bowl. Add mixture to the spaghetti and mix.
4. Place the spaghetti mixture into a greased deep-dish pie plate and spread to make a “pie crust”.
5. Heat 1 Tbsp of oil in a sauté pan over medium heat and cook the ground turkey, salt, garlic and onion powder for 5 minutes or until the meat is cooked through.
6. Pour the marinara sauce over the meat and stir to combine.
7. In a bowl stir the Ricotta cheese, the remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese and Italian herbs to combine.
8. Spread the Ricotta/Parmesan cheese mixture over the pasta, then layer the marinara mixture and finally, top with 1 cup of mozzarella.
9. Place dish on a sheet pan and bake for 30 minutes.
10. Cool, cut into wedges and serve.
If you love spaghetti and lasagna you’ll love this creation because it’s the best of both worlds. It’s got spaghetti noodles, cheese, tomato sauce, cheese, turkey, cheese (can you tell what my favorite part is?), pretty much everything you could ask for in a meal! Serve it with some baked asparagus or a nice side salad and you have a very filling meal. I hope you all enjoy!